What is mechanical engineering?
The simplest description of a mechanical engineer is an engineering branch that deals with anything that moves. Mechanical engineers are involved in many different industries such as aerospace, automotive, chemical, electronics, consumer goods, materials and metals, pharmaceuticals, rail, and utilities. They also work in construction.
What is construction management?
Construction management is a professional service that provides the management of design, development, schedule, cost, safety and function of a project. The goal of construction management is to deliver a project that is safe, on schedule and whithin budget.
What are the different jobs of a mechanical engineer in construction?
A mechanical engineer is responsible for the mechanical components of a building. The mechanical components of the building involves the following MEPF trades:
- Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning HVAC
- Fire Protection
A mechanical engineer in construction can have different roles in the construction field. These roles can vary from designing, coordinating, building, inspecting to commissioning the MEPF trades. The following is a quick description for each role.
- A mechanical engineer designer designs the MEPF layout of the building by assessing the needs of the building's occupants and function.
- A Mechanical Engineer representing the general contractor (GC) company will manage the MEPF trades to build the project safely, on schedule and whithin budget.
- The mechanical engineer subcontractor (trade partner), will provide the material and labor for their particular trade.
- The inspector is responsible for insuring that the construction of the building is meeting the official regulations.
- The commissioner tests and verifies that the mechanical components of the building meet design intent and the owner and occupant's needs.
What are the day to day responsibilities of a mechanical engineer in construction?
The day to day responsibilities of a mechanical engineer can vary depending on the project phase and the level of the engineer. Here is a list of job duties for mechanical engineer working for a general contractor:
- Collaborate with Owner Representative, Architect, Consultants, Subcontractors, Inspectors and base team to resolve issues related to plans and specifications.
- Study contract documents, shop drawings and specifications to ensure proper coordination.
- Manage the project budget by managing and negotiate the change orders with subcontractors.
- Analyze design for feasibility of construction.
- Resolve design issues through virtual design construction (VDC).
- Resolve field issues.
- Estimate costs and analyze bids for engineering design and construction.
- Prepare contract documents for trades.
- Supervise production of trade partners and design evaluation programs.
- Schedule and manage coordination, preconstruction and submittal review meetings.
- Oversee the close out process of the project.